US Nurse Application | How to Work as A Nurse in the USA

Want to work in the United States? Opportunities are aplenty; the American over-65 population is about to triple by the year 2030. Most of them will suffer from chronic conditions, be obese, and suffer from arthtritis.

This leads to an overwhelming demand for nurses to assist healthcare institutions in providing care to these aging patients.

Living in the United States can be an interesting and rewarding period of time. You get great education, infrastructure, and one of the highest standards of living in the world. The salary is great too: the median salary for US registered nurses is $60,616, or about RM250,000 per annum.

Here’s what you need to do:

1. Ensure your academic requirements are met You need to:

Graduate from a program with accredited Registered Nursing

Have a valid RN license

Practiced as an RN for not less than two years

-Some states (like Texas or California, for example), require you to complete a Foreign Educated Nurses (FEN) course. It’s a refresher course consisting of 240 hours divided equally into classroom and clinical practice. You will do it under the supervision of a licensed RN.

2. Pass English proficiency test

You need to do this if:

You graduated from a school not in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or Ireland

Your school’s spoken language is anything other than English

Your school’s textbooks were written in English

You can take:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

Send the test results directly to the state board you’re applying to.

3. Sit and pass your NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensing Examination - Registered Nurse)

To take the exam, you have to register with Pearson VUE. The instructions are all on the website.

4. Find an employer, or a recruiting agency based in the US

A recruiter can also be your employer. They will help you get your immigrant visa. Not only that, but they will also assist you in finding a job at a hospital or institution that they are partnered with.

5. Get an RN immigrant visa/green card

You are going to need these documents for your visa:

Visa Screen Certificate (VSC)

Evidence of US-based employer who will petition for your visa. As mentioned, a recruiter can also be your petitioner.

6. Obtain visa and accept job offer

You might have to take a medical exam for this.

7. Get certified for Resuscitation courses

You’ll need to take (depending on the area that you will practice in):

Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) course

Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) course[10]

And there you have it! All you have to do next is to emigrate to the US. We’d like to wish you good luck with your endeavours!

Great nurses are always on the lookout for new, exciting, and better opportunities to grow their career. Find out your next employment with MIMS Career, a fast, secure, and convenient portal to connect you to top-class healthcare employers in MY, SG, ID, and PH.

Learn more about US Nurse Application.


19 views0 comments